- 350ml coconut milk
- 225g caster sugar
- 12 egg yolks
- 125g plain flour
- 170g clarified butter/ghee
- 30g flaked almonds, toasted
- Mix the coconut milk and sugar together, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg yolks until thick and pale. Mix in the coconut milk, then sieve in the flour a little at a time, making sure there are no lumps.
- Heat the grill to a high heat; you will need an 18cm baking tin or omelette pan at least 8cm deep with a solid base. Put in a tablespoon of ghee/clarified butter, put under the grill and heat gently.
- Remove from the grill and pour in a 5mm layer of batter. Put back under the grill and cook until the top is golden, checking regularly. Remove from the grill again and add another tablespoon of ghee/clarified butter to melt. Pour on another layer of batter 5mm thick and grill again. Repeat the layering process until the batter is used up. The last layer must be ghee/clarified butter.
- Turn the bebinca onto a chopping board. Decorate the top whilst still warm with flaked almonds, chopped pistachios or any topping of your choice.